Search This Blog

Thursday, May 3, 2018

No Sew Mermaid / Bubble Guppies Costume

   NOTICE - THIS BLOG IS NO LONGER UPDATED. ALL CONTENT IS NOW MOVED TO WWW.DFFRENTFOCUS.COM. WE HOPE YOU ENJOY OUR NEW SITE.
   
My friend, Jennifer (who doesn't sew) called Sunday night with a costume crisis.

Her problem:
She needed a mermaid costume for a cruise ship event in 2 days!   
       A search of her closet turned up a sequined tank and a pair of capri pants. 

My assignment:
Figure out how to turn these items into a mermaid costume and tell her how to do it over the phone. 

No problem!

My solution: 
 Mermaid Tail Leg Warmers
       
Supplies Needed:
pair of trouser socks
6" rolls of tulle -preferably in mermaid colors
    (I only had pink tulle on hand, so my version is looks more like Molly from the Bubble Guppies cartoon.)
        
Instructions:

1.    Cut the top band off a pair of trouser socks or knee high stockings.  (I sewed elastic garters to fit my 4 year-old's leg because I couldn't find any knee socks.)

2.    Measure the distance from knee to ankle.  Multiply the length by 2.  Cut _____ 6" wide tulle strips to length.  Add more strips to increase fullness.

3.     Tie tulle onto garter until entire band is covered.  (Make 2.)

4.     Slip these mini-tutus over pants and secure just below the knee.  Voila!  Instant mermaid pants!

      

No comments:

Post a Comment